Thursday, February 24, 2011

UCHIKO

A few weeks ago, a few friends and I decided to try out the new Uchiko - the new sister restaurant to the famous Uchi. Let me say this first, we went on a Tuesday night, and there were only two empty tables in the whole restaurant...that should attest to how totally delicious this place really is.

We started with some tempura nasu - japanese eggplant crisps with some sweet chili sauce - Uchi's own version of chips and dip. Needless to say they were addicting and incredibly tasty. We also ordered the hot rock - wagyu beef served raw with an extremely hot Japanese river rock on which you cook the beef strips. We also got some grilled edamame which had so much flavor you didn't even need soy sauce.

Next we were served a little tasting from the chef - a slice of strawberry paired with a slice of yellow beet. I'm not a huge fan of beets, but because everything else had been so, so tasty, I decided to give it a try and I was not disappointed. The complimentary tastes exploded in your mouth for a special little treat.

After all of our various appetizers, we ordered our sushi rolls - the infamous Shag roll with tempura fried salmon, sun dried tomato and spicy sauce - simple yet amazing; the crunchy tuna roll with bigeye tuna, jalapeƱo, cucumber, aioli and tempura flakes; and the tiger cry with grilled wagyu steak, toasted rice and cilantro. I cannot tell you which was best because they were all so delicious. I could have eaten 4 more of each.

To finish our incredible meal, we ended with the fried milk. While it sounds a bit strange, it just might be one of my favorite desserts of all time after eating it. It comes with two tiny little donut hole looking things (the fried milk), a chocolate torte, some chocolate cocoa powder and some plain milk chocolate.

After my first time at Uchi, I want to go back until I can try every single thing on the menu, as I'm sure they are all equally as unbelievable as what I had on my first visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment