Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Hunger Games

Since the weather has been soooooo chilly the past few days, its given me a chance to catch up on one of my favorite activities...reading (non-school related books that is).

Over the break I finished The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett which was incredible. This historical fiction is about 1,500 pages long, but took me only two weeks to finish. With the intertwining stories of a multitude of characters, by the second half of the book, its hard to put down. Although gory and sexual, Pillars is ultimately about a monk, Phillip, whose ultimate goal in life is to build the most beautiful cathedral in the world. If you're a historical fiction buff, this is definitely a must read.

Although I'm not big on sci-fi, one of my friends suggested I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins last week and I am already two books deep and 20% into the third - notice I refer to it in percentages (yaa Kindle). I really cannot put these books down. Basically, they take place in a country called Panem which was built on top of the ruins of America after the country was eliminated. From the 12 districts of Panem, two children are chosen from each annually to be placed in an arena to fight to the death leaving one remaining victor. I know, sounds extremely barbaric and weird, and it is, but it is also one of the most captivating books I've read in a long time. Right now I'm on the final book - Mockingjay. I'm entirely obsessed and highly recommend reading them all.

Next on my list...Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo

No comments:

Post a Comment